6.24.2008

oh, dear...

My favorite Jane Austin novel is Persuasion. In fact, it is my third favorite fiction of all time. Anne, the main character, loves, loses, and dares to hope for love again. I like Persuasion because Austin beautifully and hysterically communicates the roller coaster of a woman's mind who is in love. It is very honest in portraying the female sex.

I have just finished reading Captain Wentworth's Diary, an attempt at telling the other side of the story. (I read Mr. Darcy's Diary during spring break.) This is supposedly the mindset of the male character who also loves, loses, and dares to hope for love again. Although not as engagingly written as Persuasion, I'm still happy I read it.

One note, however:

Towards the very end of the book (the same as in Persuasion) a conversation takes place where Anne is talking to another male character and does not know that Wentworth is able to hear. Part of the conversation goes something like this...

'We certainly do not forget you so soon as you forget us,' Anne told
him. 'It is, perhaps, our fate rather than our merit. We cannot help
ourselves. We live at home, quiet, confined, and our feelings prey upon
us. You are forced on exertion. You have always a profession,
pursuits, business of some sort or other, to take you back into the world
immediately, and continual occupation and change soon weaken impressions.'


Later, Wentworth, overcome with feelings upon hearing this topic of conversation, begins to write a letter to Anne saying..

I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you
almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets
sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none
but you.


I just wonder what this book would have been like... if it had been written by an Adam rather than by an Amanda.

No comments: